Thursday, December 3, 2015

Mark Fyten, inaccurate statements, KLTF radio and fair use. My critique of local media.

Now is a good time to write about the incident that occurred on air on the Up Front program of KLTF radio on 11-17-15.  I called in to let the listeners know about my recent request via email, to have a seasonal display on city property, as the Lindbergh Lions have done for the last 2 years now at LeBourget Park(city owned). I sent an email  to the city attorney Toni Wetzel, Mayor Greg Zylka, as well as Ben Oleson zoning administrator. I then proceeded to inform the listeners, that Lois Macjei was denied amplification at the podium during her public comment during an official Little Falls City Council Work Session.(she had a really hoarse voice)   After she and I asked them to turn the microphone on the podium on, they argued about it and finally allowed her to sit by a microphone close to where the city administrator was seated.  I stated what a shame this was, that the city has equipment and doesn't even utilize it.  

Under "Fair Use"  I am sharing this to educate the public about what I believe are repeated non-factual biased statements, routinely made by the hosts of the Up Front program.   They rarely, if ever, cite their sources.
The hosts suggest people can access videos and other information on their website.   Did they get permission in advance of posting these videos and articles?   Doubtful.  


Here is the important part of the transcript from that program where I believe Mark Fyten stated inaccuracies about open public work session meetings.

Robin "I also want to alert the listeners to the fact that Lois Macjei last night was denied at least temporarily, until she insisted, and I spoke up for her as well, at a city council official work session to speak at the podium with the podium microphone on.  Not only do they not broadcast the work sessions publicly, they don't want the public in the audience to be able to hear what the speakers during the public forum are saying to them. What a disgrace to this city and I stated so.  Even though our manager of our public television station requested of the city, could he film those work sessions and put them on, they have denied him. Why? What are they so afraid of? Why do they have to operate in the dark?"


Mark Fyten "Cuz sometimes, there is uh, information that's discussed at a work session that isn't necessarily available, it shouldn't be available for public consumption."

Robin "That's, that can't possibly be true, because work sessions are open to the public."

Mark Fyten "Well don't, don't tell me it can't nec, a be true, because I know.  I've been in work sessions where people, you discuss personal information about employees and things like that."

Robin "No they can't."

Mark Fyten ""That is not, should not be for public consumption."

Robin "What you just stated is not true." 

That ended the program.


  I wonder if Mark Fyten will retract his statements or cling to his blunder? Time will tell. 

No wonder the listeners/readers of local media have a tainted version of reality. The McRecord and KLTF right wing slant/bias/poor journalism(if it can even be called that) is to blame. 

The people of Morrison County would be wise to DEMAND better than they are getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment