Sunday, September 14, 2014

Dear Mary Ellen Barnes....

I read your letter to the editor titled "Garage sales still having issues" in the Morrison County Record. 

I agree that billboards on cars for garage sales or anything else is not the best way to display signs.   Signs are best suited for yards or on private property, but since off premise signs are not allowed, there isn't much choice. 

I suggest you recruit some of your friends and start a petition to get rid of the sign ordinance or revise it to allow off premise signs, as the Bloomington, Mn. sign ordinance.  Bloomington has some of the highest property values in the state, and they allow limited off premise signs for garage sales and boutiques.  

I am glad you acknowledge that the city is partially to blame.  Actually the city is to be blamed completely.  

The city council passed a very restrictive, unconstitutional sign ordinance more than 40 years ago, and off premise garage sale signs have been illegal since then. 

I came to Little Falls in 1994 and have never been on the Council. 

I sued the city because they violated my right to free speech. 

I am running for Mayor to ensure that laws are followed and ordinances that are too cumbersome are deleted.  My conscience and civic duty compel me to run for office. 

I can't be bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment