Monday, September 29, 2014

A note to Terry Lehrke....

I know this would not be printed on the commentary disqus thread of the MCRecord so I will post my comment/questions here instead. 

Why didn't you include in your article on the trial of Alderman Brian Crowder(Sept. 22+23rd, 2014) the disturbing comment made by Officer David Stevenson, that he asked to be taken off of the investigation of the incident at Oakland Cemetery, because he doesn't like politics at all, and didn't want any political ramifications?  Are sworn peace officers supposed to be allowed to "pick and choose" which cases and which individuals they investigate?  I don't think so.   This is an alarming statement and one that your readers were entitled to know to be fully informed.  

Why didn't you include the bigoted comment that Charlie Sprandel made when he was asked what the building was that Assistant County Prosecutor Todd Kosovich was pointing at on the platte map of Oakland Cemetery?  Sprandels comment was that he thought it was a mausoleum or a "SMOKEHOUSE'' or something.  This was of course a damning reference to the Holocaust crematoriums, and the Crowder Jewish ancestry.   I noticed while seated behind you in the courtroom,  when Sprandel made this comment, you shook your head in dismay. 

I am really disappointed in your lack of thoroughness in journalism.  Is it intentional, or an oversight on your part?  I hope you will explain to me, next time we see each other, why you did not include these two important pieces of information for your readers. 

The investigations of the many threats towards me over the course of the last 3 years, were no less riddled with officer changes in investigating them.  This is in part, in my opinion, why the threateners were never found/or identified.  This is poor policing, and then some. I remember in 2012 when I pointed out to you an alarming comment by a writer who called themself  "ENDLESS LOVELESS" and you removed the comment and blocked that individual.   You told me that anonymous commenters would not be allowed to comment.   What happened? 
What changed that you have since then allowed numerous commenters to post without identifying themselves? 

After speaking with a friend recently, I wonder if you really feel that I have been unfairly demeaned/threatened/harassed by some of the community members?   If so, why don't you write something about that?   Especially since it was your article titled "Police Lead Hensel out of Friday's Council meeting" that led up to the incitement of a terroristic  threat to me.  This terroristic threat was posted for 11 days before I reported it to the Little Falls Police Department.  This is totally unacceptable and sloppy oversight of a commentary thread, no matter whose job it was to police it. 

As mayor, I will be diligent to ensure that the Morrison County Record lives up to the expectation of fair/factual and unbiased journalism or I will move to change the official newspaper of the City of Little Falls to a newspaper that will accomplish this.  That you and the voters can count on. 

So many people have made statements under oath, or just in conversation that they have formed their opinions on what they read in the Record.  Given the fact that the reporting has many times, been less than stellar, I am not dismayed that the present mayor and council have allowed the Record to continue as it's official newspaper.   I have witnessed either the city administrators or council/committee members suggesting "and Terry, you don't have to print that."  

As mayor, I will put an end to the discriminatory/sloppy policing that goes on in this town on a regular basis.  It is one of the highest priorities for me.  I am concerned about racial profiling as well, and intend to ferret the facts out, and then inform the population as to what I discover.   This should be a priority of our current mayor, but obviously is not. 

I look forward to the day when the City of Little Falls and the Morrison County Record are no longer in bed together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment