Thursday, March 5, 2015

ATTENTION ALL VIEWERS.....UPDATE ON THE ILLEGAL DIGITAL ROYALTON BILLBOARD. 3-5-15

This morning 3-5-15, I spoke with Carol at the City of Royalton office about the Supreme Sign illegal off premise billboard case status.  She was very gracious in her answers and very polite.  Kudos Carol. 
She stated that the case is in mediation or negotiation status right now, with the two attorneys attempting to resolve the matter out of court.  City of Royalton attorney Toni Wetzel, and Supreme Signs represented by Tom Thielen (not Peter Vogel who was contacted earlier about representation).    I surely hope the City of Royalton gets their thousands of dollars in violation penalties that they are owed by Supreme Sign Company for violating the sign ordinance for a very long period of time.  $1,000.00 per day for a sign violation and  a new misdemeanor for every day in violation.  Let's see now.....I believe they have been in violation for close to if not in excess of two months, which would total $60,000.00 or so.  I requested a copy of the old Royalton sign ordinance be sent to me via email.  It was enacted in 1996.   Their new sign ordinance was passed in April 2014.

  I also mentioned that there are a number of other illegal signs on the main drag(hwy. 10) on light poles, on directional signage, and on the road right of way.  It is the council who is charged with enforcing the sign ordinance in Royalton.

 I asked about the Goldsmith Jewelers garage size sign that abuts Mark Schrauts fence.  (likely another illegal off premise sign).  I asked who owned that garage. She said she didn't know.   I wonder if it is also owned by the same man who owns Treasure City. 

If any city is going to enact  a sign ordinance, it is their duty to enforce it uniformly.   Not selectively.  Anything less, is a violation of the law. 

When the case is settled, there will be something in the council minutes about it. 

I will post it here when I find out. 

Signs matter......they are one of the most important ways to communicate free and commercial speech.  I will continue to be keenly aware of sign issues in my state and beyond.  Shouldn't we all be ???

No comments:

Post a Comment